Saturday, May 14, 2011

Communicating

Food on a tray, that sterile latex smell, two white boards & six trash cans in a 200 square foot space: I'm back on the transplant floor of Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

I checked in today to begin pre-transplant chemotherapy tomorrow, and prepare for the transplant on Wednesday. Everything is going smoothly thus far, and I have some updates and additional information that I wanted to provide so that I can stay in touch with you all over the next few weeks.

I am currently located at:

Prentice Women's Hospital

250 E. Superior

Chicago, Illinois 60611

15th floor - room 1596

Room phone (312) 472-1596

As I previously posted, I would love to have you come visit while I am in the hospital. Please feel free to call the room or my cell phone to check that there aren't any last-minute shenanigans going on. When you come, you'll need to wash your hands before entering the floor and sanitize your hands again outside of my door. And, if you have a cold, infection, even a sniffle, it's best to hold-off on the visit until my immune system is better.

Many of you have asked about the best address at which to direct mail. The hospital's mail system proved a bit problematic the last time around, so it's best to send items to my parent's home:

3112 Temple Lane (yes, I grew up on a street called Temple Lane)

Wilmette, IL 60091

It's strange to be back on this floor where I have not been for two and a half years. Many of the same doctors, nurses and staff are here, the room itself, though not the exact same as the last one, is quite similar. It's a bit surreal, a bit sad, a bit comfortably familiar and relieving after this marathon of preparation, all at once. So far, the biggest difference between the last extended stay and this one, is the technology that I have access to. I have a much newer and quicker computer, complete with a camera and the ability to Skype and video chat with friends and family (I'm ElissaFroman on Skype, by the by). I have access to a better wireless network here at NMH. And, thanks to an office building raffle and a lucky coin-toss, I have an Ipad upon which I can watch movies and TV, download books, and do just about anything else. I have lots of new ways to connect and communicate, and for that I am deeply grateful.

And thank you for all of your recent emails, cards, calls, texts, tweets, wall posts - your good wishes and prayers really mean more than I can say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but I feel close to you. I know how fiercely your sister loves you, and I only hope that you feel the love she and so many others have for you. My thoughts and prayers are with ya'll today. -Kate

Harboring thoughts said...

Sending you telepathic messages everyday--hope you are receiving them!
Wishing you strength and healing and sending love. Nancy